Savoy cabbages do really well at Gibside Community Farm. Here is a tasty recipe from Jola to use with a variety of fillings.
- Large, outer, Savoy cabbage leaves
- A filling mixture of your choice using whatever you have or like, e.g. vegetables, sauté onions, rice, lentils, minced pork/beef, barley, buckwheat, cheese, mushrooms , quinoa. Raw egg to bind the ingredients together
- 1-2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- Bay leaves
- Pepper corns
- Blanch the large leaves in boiling water or steam them for 5 minutes to soften them up. Leave to cool. If the stem is very thick pare off a bit with a knife or potato peeler
- Make a fairly stiff stuffing mixture
- Take a leaf and put a tablespoon of mixture at the stem end of the leaf.
- Fold in the sides to the middle and roll up from the stem
- Place your parcels in a pan with the tin/s of chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, scattered pepper corns and salt. (Only add a small amount of water if necessary as the strong sauce flavour will go well with the blander cabbage and stuffing mix)
- Bring to boil on a gentle hear and simmer with the lid on for 15-20 minutes depending on the stuffing.