Gibside Community Farm started as a co-op in 2013. We have been building slowly since then. We have achieved
- Organic status (2019)
- Grown veg on 7 market garden plots and 2 of the 7 field rotational plots
- Grown a hectare of fava beans (2018) and growing a hectare of hay (2019 – 2023)
- created an orchard (2017 and 2018)
- refurbished a 60 year old Ferguson tractor (with a lot of help from the Ferguson Club)
- distributed veg to members and a local foodbank (ongoing)
- sold veg at farmer’s markets and on display stands in Gibside (ongoing)
- sold veg to local veg box schemes (Abundant Earth and The Paddock) (ongoing)
- employed 2 contract growers for one day a week each for some of the year (with funding from Bright Ideas 2018) and will continue to employ a contract grower occasionally
- planted a shelterbelt and agroforestry alleyways (with funding from the Woodland Trust) (2018 and 2019)
- Created a shelter for members and a store for tools (with funding from National Trust, Woodland Trust and National Lottery) (2018)
- Sold veg bags through our Friends and Neighbours Scheme, started in July 2019.
This year we will
- expand the amount of veg we are growing
- move soft fruit, herbs and other veg from the walled garden to the field
- create more shelter for the crops
- harvest our first hay crop
- continue to sell veg through Friends and Neighbours scheme, to The Paddock, Abundant Earth, display shelves in Gibside NT, farmers markets and Honeytree in Heaton, Newcastle
Soon we hope to
- employ growers for longer
- buy some polytunnels, so we can extend the season
Join us to help create this vision!
As a member co-op, all members can influence the direction of the co-op by attending our general meetings. These are currently held monthly. We also have sub groups to do the detailed planning work and all members are welcome to join these groups. These are:
- Growers group which decides on what to grow and where.
- Funding group which applies for funding support.
- Management and finance which oversees the co-op and its finances.