Spicy Cauliflower Soup
A warming soup from Lesley that uses the young green parts of a cauliflower as well.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 cm turmeric root, peeled and finely chopped (alternatively use 1 tsp turmeric powder)
- 1tbsp oil
- 3-5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped (alternatively use spring onions or green garlic)
- 1tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 medium size cauliflower chopped up, including softer parts of stalks and inner green leaves
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 1dsp garam masala
- Small amount of milk/cream and/or lemon juice (if wanted)
- Wild garlic if you have it.
- Fry the onion slowly for about 10 mins in sunflower or other oil
- Add the ginger, turmeric and fennel seeds and continue to gently fry for 5 mins
- Add the cauliflower, stir and cook for about 5-10 mins – don’t let it catch. Add the vegetable stock and bring to boil then turn to simmer until the cauliflower is soft.
- Liquidise as much of the soup as you want, but leave some pieces of cauliflower and/or leaves.
- Add the milk/ cream or lemon juice and anything else your spoon tells you to.
- Reheat but don’t boil.
- Stir in a dessertspoon of garam masala. I chopped some wild garlic and sprinkled on top but you could use chives.